Friday 19 September 2014

Bizarre Friday

I’m sitting killing some time, post a work social, where I valiantly knocked back two Becks Blue’s (non-alcoholic beer). Listening to Gogol Bordello. Feeling a little weird because my mouth tastes like beer and I’m going to a 12 Step Meeting…

I already almost fainted when someone told me that Becks Blue, according to the internet, has an alcohol percentage per volume of 0.3%. I scrutinized the bottle and convinced by the “0.0%” claim on the label and “all that Moslem writing”, that it was actually ok. The sight of me swanning around with a bottle of beer did alarmed a few supportive colleagues. I’m 50 weeks sober today, so yeah, it’s weird to see me with a beer. 

Someone called me a pushover today. I’m really not. She based this on the fact that I’ve been pretty much stood up by the same guy twice. Am I a pushover? Or do I choose to have some faith in someone when they make plans with me?

Pah.

In the words of Gogol Bordello:

“Start wearing purple, wearing purple
Start wearing purple for me now
All your sanity and wits, they will all vanish
I promise, it's just a matter of time”

1 comment:

  1. I can certainly relate to that feeling of counterfeit, or at least deprivation. At least you are still keeping to your vow to sobriety and you are sticking with it. That is something that can provide you with greater help in the long run, as long as your support groups and services for it don't get too compromised. Thanks for sharing that! I wish you all the best!

    Donnie Benson @ Midwest Institute for Addiction

    ReplyDelete