Friday 28 June 2013

Interesting Advice

I read an article on The Daily Mail website last month that I found both shocking and intriguing.

With a typically descriptive DM title: "The cruel reality of living in an open marriage: Olivia agreed her husband could have one affair a year and she could kiss 10 men... but then he fell in love with a mistress"

Although I am not familiar with the writing of Olivia Fane, she strikes me as having the kind of life story that can only result in sincere writing. I'm not going to give you the whole story, read the article if you are interested.

Two things stood out for me:
Firstly the unfairness of her "open marriage" arrangement with her husband, and how real freedom actually comes from being true to one person. It may seen obvious, but I think sometimes we need to be reminded.

Secondly, the advice from her mother, not the part where she tells her daughter to take a lover after marriage, but rather the following:

"Always tell a clever man he's handsome, and a handsome man he's clever."

How very interesting.... and it makes a lot of sense. For years I dated a very good looking man, he's actually a model. Surprisingly he places very little value in looks, but rather practicality and knowledge. Personally I'd like to be told that I'm beautiful and clever... I'm not really sure which I'd rather be know for... pah, being clever, obviously ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment