Friday 5 June 2015

Write Stuff : Day 9 #100daysofwriting

I really enjoy writing and it helps me to unload all of the feelings that crash around inside me. Writing makes the feelings line up neatly like the disruptive school children that they are. I like to think of my emotions, character defects, my habits - call them what you will - as little creatures who follow me around. Personifying them makes it easier for me to dimiss them, uninvite them from parties and meetings, and to put them in their place.

This said, I also get anxious about writing. Sure, writing free flowing thought is basic enough, but I want to try my hand at paid writing. Frankly, it all feels daunting! I suppose it is self doubt and my need for affirmation. But then again I realise that potential criticism and feedback will only work towards helping me to improve and hone my skills. I need to quiet the nagging inner voice that claims that I can't write. Look! Words in a line - I just wrote!

I suppose a level of fear is ok when something is important?

In the words of James Thurber: 
"Don't get it right, get it written."

No comments:

Post a Comment