Thursday 18 October 2012

Sweet Escape...


Amongst all that seems to be going on, all good yet consuming, a girl needs an escape. I managed to get my hands on the “missing” episode of Downton Abbey – you know the situation, you have a whole series but there is one episode missing in the middle? You can piece everything together, but there are still big gaps in the story arch.

What bliss, I was even inspired to abolish my mountain of ironing (yes, take notes Brother, give me series and I will iron).

Downton Abbey has a special place in my heart, since I managed to visit the house in Newbury on my UK trip.  They film most of the show at Highclere Castle, which is actually the home of the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon. It’s quite something to see recent family photos interspersed between ancient family portraits. While it didn’t really feel like Downton while I was there, I recognised so much when I rewatch the show. Every glimpse of a painting or sculpture in the dining room, stair case or library gives me a special thrill.

Visiting Highclere was definitely a highlight of my trip! Unfortunately I wasn’t allowed to take photos inside the house, but here are some photos of me there and the grounds.

Copyright - Sharon Paine

Copyright - Sharon Paine

Copyright - Sharon Paine

Copyright - Sharon Paine

No comments:

Post a Comment