Wednesday 24 October 2012

Wicked Wheat

It’s been over 3 weeks of “Wheat-Free October” and admittedly, I did cheat once, on Saturday. We were painting murals all day, I was starving, and I couldn’t just eat viennas, so I ate 2 hot dogs. I was very tempted to just cheat fully with a glass of wine, but was told that wheat was forgivable, while wine is very much not… This month has been pretty hectic with flat buying and what-not… I’ve been dying for a glass of wine… so let’s not discuss wine!

Sans-wheat, I have managed to drop 2kg without actually doing any exercise, so I’ve done some reading.

According to Dr Mark Hyman on the Huffpost Healthy Living Blog, there are 3 ways that wheat makes you fat:

  1. It contains a Super Starch -- amylopectin A that is super fattening.
  2. It contains a form of Super Gluten that is super-inflammatory.
  3. It contains forms of a Super Drug that is super-addictive and makes you crave and eat more.
Apparently it does not only contribute to weight gain, but depression too? Strange because I crave pasta, pizza etc when I’m most down. Think I might have only vaguely touched on it before, but I am depressed – medicated, but it still something that defines me. My emotions effect my stomach, wheat effects my stomach… could I just have been engaged in a crazy vicious circle of abuse to my stomach? It’s definitely something to consider…

I am really determined not to slip into bad habits again, this wheat thing needs to be controlled. I’m considering these two books:

Bread Is The Devil

Wheat Belly

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to go without Pizza! It took me a year of wheat-free living to find this. Cauliflower pizza bases. Tastes better than it sounds:
    http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

    ReplyDelete