Friday 21 August 2015

Reflecting on my past : Day 85 #100daysofwriting

Once upon a time, ten years ago, I worked shifts in a retail store. One week early, one week late. It was a fun time of life. 

At that time I was dating a professional skateboarder-slash-model with a flexible schedule. He used to say that he loved how I always had my beach umbrella in the boot. I remember working a late shift with sea sand in my ears because I'd rolled into work straight from the beach.

How is it that I earned so little and worked so much, yet I was so happy. Have I forgotten something? Was it all that sunshine? The boy? Or the utter lack of serious responsibility?

I sometimes hanker for those store days. Where I'd hang out with my friends while we folded shirts with military precision. Chatting up customers (that's actually how I met the skater) and competing for sales. Merchandising clothes.

Strange how I now choose and develop stock for those stores now. I've been with the company for 11.5 years already. Can you even believe that?

Back to care free and happy. I think it's the sunshine... I need more beach this summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment