Tuesday 4 August 2015

Too Many Options : Day 67 #100daysofwriting

We have too many options and it's making us noncommittal.

Consider things like online dating and dating apps. Goodness me, I've been down that road a few times and felt the rejection. I've also hideously rejected. Or wavered in my attentions. Why? Because we are convinced that something better is around the corner. I've found myself dismissing someone based on their finger nails... ok, maybe no spark too, but those finger nails.... it was never going to work. Manicure? Nah, don't think it would have helped. Let's order our next date off the internet on the way to the car.

Why commit to one pair of jeans when you can have them in every single colour and only wear them once? We don't even need to leave the house to have them all delivered. Alright, admittedly I find it easier to find clothes that I want to keep forever than men. And jeans don't mind time-sharing your legs. Is it just me or did that sound awful? I don't think "bottom" would make it any less dodge.

I suppose we can eat food from all over the world without even hopping in the car, let alone a plane. I live in a very vibrant neighbourhood and have Mexican, Thai, Italian, Jamaican and Portuguese food all within walking distance! I really don't feel the need to choose one venue as my "local".

Honestly, I think it is actually only awful when it comes to dating, and I've had the same conversation with a number of people over the last week. Why choose? Why settle down? Don't we have a desperate need to be accepted and loved, held as favourite? Surely it appeals to have a constant presence in our lives? So why are so many people my age running around in mad circles to date as many people as possible? I'm guilty in my own way, and I really could have been persuaded to have a second date with at least a few of the guys - even the weird nails one. But then again, I have not met anyone that I really clicked with romantically in a very long time? Am I fussy or complex? Maybe sobriety makes me fussy? Or is it careful?

I've decided to just focus on the constants in my life, they need appreciation and attention. I'm tired of all the fickle online shopping.



No comments:

Post a Comment