Tuesday 22 July 2014

Not So Fast! #100creativedays Day 91

Every so often my church has a time of fasting. I am always full of excuses about needing to eat because of my antidepressants and my unstable mood when hungry. This time the call seems to be more directed towards fasting from Social Media! Yes, probably a bigger pleasure for me than eating!

So from midnight tonight, until 18:30 tomorrow I will turn my data off my phone and practice restraint via computer. No blogs, no Facebook, no twitter, no instant messaging... You get the idea!

Work emails yes, gmail yes, SMS and phone yes. I was going to say no gmail but I'm in the middle of an insurance claim and it hardly feels gratuitous...

I'm also giving up tea... I may just go crazy... I'm seriously into tea.

The point of this is to sacrifice a pleasure that we depend on. As a church we want to reflect on the things we want to hand over to God. For me personally its an act of obedience and a sign of me putting my trust in God.

I've been struggling to hand all areas of my life over to God. The way I've thought and acted with regards to romantic relationships shows a massive struggle to have things my way, not God's way. I also need to trust God with my job and future. I need to trust in His provision, and worry less. I'm still struggling and see this mini fast as a gesture.

Fortunately the fast is only 18.5 hours, so expect feedback tomorrow evening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment